LEARN SOMETHING. SEE SOMETHING. DO SOMETHING.
What is Sexual Exploitation?
Sexual exploitation is the sexual abuse of children and youth through the exchange of sex or sexual acts for: drugs, food, shelter, protection, other basics of life, and/or money.
Sexual exploitation also involves children and youth in creating: pornography and sexually explicit websites.
In a given month, 7,200 men buy sex with an adolescent female in Georgia. Atlanta has the highest annual revenue in the underground commercial sex economy at $290m per year.
Atlanta has one of the highest underground sex industries in the United States. It is a flourishing hub for human trafficking because:
- Of 14 major cities in the USA, Atlanta has the most strip clubs per capita, even more than Las Vegas.
- Atlanta is one of the most popular convention destinations in the country and it has the largest airport in the world.
- Wherever you have large crowds of people with disposable money - there will be greater demand for sexual and cheap labor services and thus incentive to exploit vulnerable people.
Think you KNOW the typical man who buys sex? Watch this Video to see if you are right or if you will be shocked.
know the warning signs
- Signs of Physical abuse such as bum marks, bruises or cuts
- Talks about wild parties or invites other students to attend
- New friends with a different style
- Dresses inappropriately;
- Displays expensive clothes, accessories or shoes
- New tattoo (tattoos are often used by pimps as a way to brand victims. Tattoos of a name, symbol of money or barcode could indicate trafficking)
- Shows signs of gang affiliation (color colors, notebook doodles of gang symbols, etc.)
- Brags about having a lot of money
- Withdrawn, depressed, distracted or checked out
RELATED STUDIES & ARTICLES: